Just because many Local 814 members will be back on the job soon — or are already back on the job — it doesn’t mean that COVID-19 is no longer a threat. For the health of ourselves, our families, and our co-workers, we need to stay vigilant and take even more precautions than normal when on a job site.
Local 814 and our partner organization NYCOSH (New York Committee for Occupational Safety & Health) came together to create a “best-practices guide” for how to stay safe on commercial moving and new furniture delivery jobs. If you have feedback please follow up with your Business Agent. Below are some of the main recommendations, followed by the entire document below that (hit the arrow at the bottom left to take you to page two of the document):
- employer must provide adequate PPE; masks, eye protection and gloves at a minimum
- employer must allow for additional time for hand washing and sanitizing between tasks
- crowding in confined spaces should be limited, ie inside of trucks, freight elevators, etc.
- As mush as possible, maintain distance between co-workers
- As mush as possible, maintain distance between co-workers and clients
- As much as possible, limit sharing of equipment/tools